Too long development time, too many features - can that work? We tell you about money and crowdfunding at the Star Citizen developer.
In this article we tell you
- What the current financial situation is like at Cloud Imperium Games
- Why the development of Squadron 42 is not yet further advanced
- Why Chris Roberts brought an investor on board
- What CIG's finances for the next two years have to look like
- How many copies of Squadron 42 could finance two years of further development
The financing of the crowdfunding mega-project Star Citizen has always been the subject of more or less substantive discussions. More than 210 million dollars are currently being spent and frequently questions are asked: What actually happens with all the money? Is Chris Roberts laughing up his ass on a yacht in the Caribbean? Does developer Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) have enough money to realize their ambitious goals? How much money do they have left?
The guessing about the financial health of the studio, which we can read again and again in forums or on Reddit, have now at least partially come to an end: For the first time CIG voluntarily published a complete financial report for the years 201…